Host Heather Horn and guests help listeners discover their purpose—or, their “why.” That’s the bigger reason behind the work you do, not only what you do.
In our third season of our What’s next? podcast series, we’re focused on preparing you for the year ahead by offering insights to help you better understand and manage some of the opportunities and challenges that your company might face—think policy, technology, and other big picture topics. In this episode, host Heather Horn sits down with PwC’s Shannon Schuyler, US Chief Purpose & Inclusion Officer, and Jeff Senne, US Responsible Business Leader, to look at how discovering your company’s purpose—or “why”—drives business growth, elevate employees, and benefits communities, and we all have a role to play, especially the finance team.
- 0:59 - Finding your purpose. There is power in defining your purpose. We begin by looking at the importance of defining the bigger reason behind the work you do (the why), not only what you do. We also explore the trend toward building a broader stakeholder community.
- 6:44 - Standing on the sidelines is over. Companies don’t need to get everything right the first time, but they do need authentic leadership. Shannon discusses the value of being transparent, identifying the gaps in your plan, and showing your commitment to being a part of the solution.
- 14:15 - Purpose is quantifiable. The importance of non-financial reporting is rising, and companies are making big investments in this area. We discuss the ROI of creating a purpose-led and values-driven organization and the finance team’s role.
- 23:27 - Driving the conversation. It can’t just be HR taking action on important issues—everyone needs to be on the journey. We talk through the ways organizations are changing their systems, processes, and behaviors to create sustainable change.
- 32:21 - Outlook. We share closing thoughts on the journey towards lasting change.
About our guests
is PwC’s US Chief Purpose & Inclusion Officer. Shannon also leads CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion, the largest CEO-driven business commitment to advance diversity and inclusion in the workplace. She was named a 2019 World Changing Woman in Conscious Business by Conscious Company Media, and was included on Fast Company’s list of the 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2016.
is the Responsible Business Leader at PwC US. In this role, Jeff drives the firm’s efforts to live its purpose and engage the more than 57,000 partners, principals, and staff in defining, cultivating, and communicating how they live their own purpose. Jeff also leads the team responsible for investing the firm’s resources into underserved communities.
About our host
is PwC’s National office thought leader, responsible for developing our communications strategy and conveying firm positions on accounting and financial reporting matters. She is the engaging host of PwC’s accounting and reporting weekly podcast and quarterly webcast series, as well as periodic webcasts for the power and utilities industry. With nearly 30 years of experience, Heather’s accounting and auditing expertise includes financial instruments and rate-regulated accounting.